Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I think I figured it out...

Over the years I've been asked a hundred times "Why don't you do Warhammer art?" I'm a big fan of the material, Warhammer 40,000 especially. Not much of a game player per se, but I love the art, novels, and of course...toy soldiers.

I think it's a holdover from when I was a kid. Little army men and all that.

Anyhow...the answer has always eluded me.

Yesterday I sat down on my lunch break and sketched out a Space Marine. Took an hour or so.
Afterward...I went ahead and colored it in Photoshop.


Now compare this w/ say...John Blanche:

or
See also Adrian Smith for beautiful work that is WAY different than mine.

Now first off, my image is very static. It's just a test piece, not going for anything spectacular here, so ignore the static vs dynamic bit. I was also trying to adjust the proportions to be a bit more..."true". Anyhow...TEST PIECE.

Now what?
Mine is very...VERY crisp. Neat and between the lines. It's comic art. These other pics...these are paintings. Especially JB's art, which has an almost scratchy, sketchy feel to it. It's...messy.

On mine you see no brush strokes at all. Hard surfaces are hard, soft are soft, everything blended and smooth.
On normal 40k art...very sketch-like rough, course looking work.

Honestly, I have no idea how to do work like that.
Is it an OCD thing? I have no idea.

THIS is why I usually don't do any Warhammer-based art.

2 comments:

LMPjr007 said...

So why don't you do any horror images? LOL!!!!!!

Jeff said...

I do some horror stuff. Most has been line art though. I really need to work on developing the more "rough" style.

I usually I can ape any style, but I have a tendency to fall back on old lineart habits.